
Crime
Share
Published 12:03 19 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 12:03 19 Aug 2026 BST

A senior Sinn Féin TD has denied having any knowledge that well-known North Belfast MP John Finucane is being considered as legal representation for Daniel Kinahan.
Cavan-Monaghan TD Matt Carthy told reporters on Tuesday he was unaware of reports that Finucane met with Mr Kinahan in Portlaoise prison last week.
Finucane is a partner in the legal practice Finucane Toner, which he operates alongside Ciarán Toner.
Finucane Toner have previously sent out two legal letters on Mr Kinahan’s behalf in 2020, however he has not been confirmed as Kinahan's current representation.
Mr Kinahan appeared before the Special Criminal Court on August 9, having been charged with directing the activities of a criminal organisation after he was extradited back to his native Dublin from the UAE.
During the first hearing, Mr Kinahan did not have any legal representation and was remanded in custody before being transferred to the maximum-security Portlaoise Prison.
Carthy, a senior Sinn Fein representative said he was unaware of the matter.
“I haven’t seen those reports, so I’ll have a look at them and I’ll come back to you,” Mr Carthy told reporters on Tuesday.
“I’m not going to speak in hypotheticals. Let me find out what the actual situation is, and I’ll come back to you when I have the facts.”
Mr Finucane has been contacted for comment by JOE.
Mr Finucane is the son of murdered solicitor Pat Finucane and has been an MP for north Belfast since 2019.
Explore more on these topics:

Garda pursuit training won’t start this year because the instructors aren’t trained
The promised pursuit training is proving harder to deliver Plans to introduce Garda pursuit training this year now appear to be facing delays, with sources telling The Journal that the force will not have officers ready to start the new programme before the end of 2026. The problem is that the instructors themselves have not […]
Crime
2h
Funeral details for M9 crash teenager removed after vile abuse
The funeral notice for one of the five teenagers killed in the M9 crash in Kildare has been removed from RIP.ie. The notice for Joe Carthy, a 15 year-old boy, of Clonmullion, Athy, Co Kildare, was published on Monday morning but taken down hours later, amid torrents of abuse over the fatal collision. McCarthy died along […]
Crime
2h
Crime
Explainer: The ‘Lucky Dip’ gang allegedly involved in Kildare motorway crash
Crime