These 80 schools will be the first to have PE as a Leaving Cert subject in Ireland
The first PE exam will take place in 2020.
Minister for Education and Skills, Mr. Richard Bruton T.D., has announced the 80 schools throughout Ireland that will be the first in the country to partake in the first phase of implementation of the new Physical Education for Senior Cycle programmes.
The 80 schools involved will implement either the examinable Physical Education Leaving Certificate subject or the new Senior Cycle Physical Education Framework (which is not for examination), or both.
Students taking the new Leaving Cert PE subject from September of this year will sit the first Leaving Certificate Physical Education (LCPE) exam in 2020; the subject can be taken at both higher and ordinary levels.
A total of 369 schools applied to participate in first phase and the Department announced its intention to roll out the new specification and framework to all schools from 2020.
The specification for Leaving Certificate Physical Education (LCPE) will be presented in two strands (details below).
Strand 1 Topics:
- Learning and improving skill and techniques.
- Physical and psychological demands of performance.
- Structures, strategies, roles and conventions.
- Planning for optimum performance.
Strand 2 Topics:
- Promoting physical activity.
- Ethics and fair play.
- Physical activity and inclusion.
- Technology, media and sport.
There are three assessment components in LCPE:
- Physical activity project – 20%.
- Performance assessment – 30%.
- Written examination – 50%.
The framework for Senior Cycle Physical Education, meanwhile, which aims to encourage learners’ confident, enjoyable and informed participation in physical activity while in senior cycle and in their future lives, contains six curriculum models:
- Health-Related Physical Activity.
- Sport Education.
- Contemporary Issues in Physical Activity.
- Adventure Education.
- Personal and Social Responsibility.
- Teaching Games for Understanding.
The 80 schools partaking in the first phase of implementation of the new Physical Education for Senior Cycle programmes can be viewed in full below.
List of Schools
- Abbey Community College, Boyle. Co. Roscommon
- Abbey Vocational School, The Glebe, Donegal Town, Co. Donegal
- Ashbourne Community School, Deerpark, Ashbourne, Co. Meath
- Beara Community School, Castletownbere, Beara, Co. Cork
- Beaufort College, Trim Rd, Navan, Co. Meath
- Belvedere College S.J, 6 Great Denmark Street, Dublin 1
- Borris Vocational School, Borris, Co. Carlow
- Borrisokane Community College, Borrisokane, Co. Tipperary
- Carndonagh Community School, Carndonagh, Lifford, Co. Donegal
- Castleknock Community College, Carpenterstown Road, Castleknock, Dublin 15
- Castletroy College, Newtown, Castletroy, Co. Limerick
- Christian Brothers College, Sidney Hill, Wellington Road, Cork
- Coláiste Abbain, Adamstown, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford
- Coláiste An Chroí Naofa, Carraig na bhFear, Co. Chorcaí
- Coláiste Bride, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford
- Coláiste Choilm, Ballincollig, Co. Cork
- Coláiste Cholmcille, College St, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal
- Colaiste Chraobh Abhann, Creowen, Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow
- Coláiste Cois Life, Gleann an Ghrífín, Leamhcán, Co. Átha Cliath
- Coláiste íde agus iosaef, Abbeyfeale, Co. Limerick
- Colaiste Mhuire, Askeaton, Co. Limerick
- Coláiste Naomh Mhuire, Convent Of Mercy, Sallins Rd, Naas, Co. Kildare
- Creagh College, Carnew Road, Gorey, Co. Wexford
- Deansrath Community College, New Nangor Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22
- Deele College, Raphoe, Lifford, Co. Donegal
- Dominican College, Griffith Ave, Drumcondra, Dublin 9
- Dominican College, Taylors Hill, Galway
- Gaelcholáiste luimnigh, Meal sior anraí, Luimneach
- Gairm Scoil Chú Uladh, Béal an Átha Móir, An Clochan, Leifear, Co. Dhun na nGall
- Glanmire Community College, Glanmire, Co. Cork
- Gort Community School, Gort, Co. Galway
- Holy family school for the deaf, Navan road, Cabra, Dublin 7
- John The Baptist Community School, Hospital, Co. Limerick
- Kinsale Community School, Kinsale, Co. Cork
- Le Cheile Secondary School, Hollystown Road, Tyrellstown, Dublin 15
- Loreto College, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath
- Loreto Secondary School, Coleville Rd, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
- Maria Immaculata Community College, Dunmanway, Co. Cork
- Mercy Secondary School, Ballymahon, Co. Longford
- Mount Anville Secondary School, Mount Anville Rd, Dublin 14
- Moville Community College, Carrownaff, Moville, Co. Donegal
- Newpark Comprehensive School, Newtown Park Avenue, Blackrock, Co. Dublin
- Oatlands College, Mount Merrion, Co. Dublin
- Our Lady of Lourdes Secondary School, Rosbercon, New Ross, Co. Wexford
- Our Lady Of Mercy College, Beaumont, Dublin 9
- Portmarnock Community School, Carrickhill Road, Portmarnock, Co. Dublin
- Presentation College, Warrenmount, Dublin 8
- Presentation Secondary School, Grogan's Road, Wexford, Co. Wexford
- Presentation Secondary School, Ballingarry, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
- Presentation Secondary School, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
- Ratoath College, Jamestown, Ratoath, Co. Meath
- Rockwell College, Cashel, Co. Tipperary
- Sacred Heart Secondary School, Sunnyside, Drogheda, Co. Louth
- Scoil Chriost Ri, Presentation Secondary School, Borris Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
- Scoil Mhuire Secondary School, St Oran's Road, Buncrana, Co. Donegal
- Scoil Phobail Chuil Mhin, Cluain Saileach, Baile Atha Cliath 15
- Scoil Phobail Sliabh Luachra, Rathmore, Co. Kerry
- Scoil Pól, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick
- Shannon Comprehensive School, Shannon, Co. Clare
- Eunan's College, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- Francis Capuchin College, Rochestown, Co. Cork
- Kieran's College Secondary School, College Rd, Kilkenny
- Louis Secondary School, Dun Lughaidh, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Marys College, Rathmines, Dublin 6
- Marys College, Nicholas Street, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Peter's Community School, Passage West, Co. Cork
- St Aidan's CBS, Collins Avenue Ext, Whitehall, Dublin 9
- St Brogan's College, Bandon, Kilbrogan, Bandon, Co. Cork
- Joseph's Secondary School, Spanish Point, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare
- Leo's College, Dublin Road, Carlow
- Macartan's College, Monaghan, Co. Monaghan
- Mary's Secondary School, Irishtown, New Ross, Co. Wexford
- Mary's Secondary School, Convent of Mercy, Ballina, Co. Mayo
- The Abbey School, Station Road, Co. Tipperary
- Trinity Comprehensive School, Ballymun Road, Dublin 9
- Tullow Community School, The Mullawn, Tullow, Co. Carlow
- Villiers Secondary School, North Circular Road, Limerick
- Virginia College, Virginia, Co. Cavan
- Wesley College, Ballinteer, Dublin 16
- Woodbrook College, Woodbrook, Bray, Co. Wicklow