The top five most 'Instagrammed' foods on social media
A list of the most popular foods on social media has been revealed.
But you might be in for a bit of a shock, because some of the one's you're thinking of didn't make the list.
Avocado on toast, everyone's favourite 'look at me I'm eating healthy' breakfast of choice, nowhere to be seen.
So what are the most popular foods on social media? A study by Gousto revealed the most popular dishes from around the world (according to Instagram).
They trawled through 150 million hashtags on Instagram to rank 353 dishes from around the world - all based on hashtag counts.
According to their findings, the top five most popular dishes are:
- Pizza (New York, USA) - 37,900,000 posts
- Hamburgers (Texas, USA) - 35,000,000 posts
- Sushi (Tokyo, Japan) - 23,600,000 posts
- Steak (Idaho, USA) - 10,200,000 posts
- Macarons (Paris, France) - 5,000,000 posts
Also included is where each food item is from.
Key findings from the research:
- Macarons are Europe's most 'Instagrammed' treat, with over five million posts
- The most shared dish on the planet was pizza, with a whopping 37 million posts
- Asian dishes such as sushi and kimchi accounted for 22% of the iconic world food list
- Fondue was the most popular cheesy dish with over one million snaps
You might be surprised to see healthier dishes not placing higher on the list. Most of the foods included in the study are not what you'd typically consider 'good for you'.
Looking to lose weight?
If you are trying to lose weight or get in shape, there are a few things you need to remember:
- Protein is pivotal: this protects muscle tissue, keeps you feeling full and also burns more calories in digestion than carbs and fat.
- Calories are key: if you burn off more calories than you take in from food and drink, you will lose weight. You can also get into a calorie deficit by simply consuming fewer calories than you need to maintain your body weight.