The nominees for the best roast dinner in Ireland have been revealed
Tastier than a Coleen Rooney/Rebekah Vardy Twitter beef.
Sunday wouldn’t be Sunday for a lot of Irish people unless there’s a roast dinner involved and the hunt is on to find which establishments in Ireland are different gravy compared to their competitors.
Multiple pubs and hotels in all four provinces have been nominated for Ireland’s Great Roast 2019 - formerly known as Carvery of the Year - and a team of mystery diners will visit all nominated venues over the course of this week to decide on the winners.
Members of the public were asked to submit pubs or hotels they deemed worthy of nomination in recent months and organisers have since whittled it down to a selection of pubs and hotels in each province (see below).
- Castle Hotel Macroom, Cork
- Limerick Strand Hotel, Limerick
- Oriel House Hotel, Ballincollig, Cork
- Quality Hotel, Youghal, Cork
- Kirby’s Brogue Inn, Tralee, Kerry
- Bull McCabe’s, Cork
- Mulcahy’s Bar & Restaurant, Clonmel, Tipperary
- The Gallery Bar & Restaurant, Mallow, Cork
- Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan, Dublin
- Ashdown Park Hotel, Gorey, Wexford
- Whitford House Hotel, Wexford
- Beaumont House, Beaumont, Dublin
- The 51 Bar, Haddington Road, Dublin
- Left Bank, Kilkenny
- Galway Bay Hotel, Salthill, Galway
- Hodson Bay Hotel, Roscommon
- Griffin’s Bar, Clifden, Galway
- The Galleon, Salthill, Galway
- Silver Tassie Hotel & Spa, Letterkenny, Donegal
- Killyhevlin Hotel, Enniskillen, Fermanagh
Provincial pub and hotel winners will be announced on the week commencing 14 October, with the overall winners announced later in the month.
As well as winning the prestigious title of Ireland’s Great Roast 2019, the overall pub and hotel winners will win €3,000 worth of kitchen equipment, Chef Rewards points and branded chef jackets.
Commenting on the competition, Jim Reeves, Customer Director at Unilever Food Solutions said: “At Unilever Food Solutions, we believe that venues should be acknowledged and applauded for striving to achieve excellent customer service, quality of ingredients and attention to detail.
“Ireland’s Great Roast 2019 provides the platform to showcase the very best in culinary excellence to a local and national audience.”
More information is available here.