Game of Thrones prequel filmed in Northern Ireland has reportedly been axed 11 months ago

Game of Thrones prequel filmed in Northern Ireland has reportedly been axed

Disappointing.

Reports have emerged that a Game of Thrones prequel filmed in Northern Ireland has been axed from production.

HBO did not comment on reports on Tuesday that it had dropped the prequel starring Naomi Watts that was set thousands of years before the original series.

It had teased a large scale narrative with 100 kingdoms and White Walkers playing a substantial role.

The pilot episode of the series starring Watts had already been filmed in Northern Ireland.

Another prequel series has been confirmed however, and the series will debut on HBO's upcoming streaming service in the US, which launches in May next year and will cost American users $14.99.

HBO said it had given a 10-episode order to House of the Dragon, set 300 years before the original series of Game of Thrones.

"It's my pleasure to announce today that we are ordering 'House of the Dragon' straight to series for HBO," said Casey Bloys, president of programming.

"It tells the story of House Targaryen and the early days of Westeros."

Game Of Thrones, which aired on HBO and Sky Atlantic, came to an end earlier this year after eight seasons of show.

If you want to read some of the problems we had with the ending of the show, you can do so here.