One of Denzel Washington's best movies is being updated as a Netflix series
Huge news for fans of the modern classic.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the streamer has issued a straight-to-series, eight-episode order for the project. It will be based on the first two novels in the book series by A. J. Quinnell - Man on Fire and The Perfect Kill.
The magazine also states that the show has the following logline:
"The Netflix series tells the story of John Creasy, a broken ex-mercenary on a mission to avenge the death of his only friend, while protecting his fallen comrade’s daughter from the forces that destroyed her family."
Creasy has previously been portrayed onscreen by Scott Glenn in the 1987 movie Man on Fire and by Denzel Washington in the 2004 movie, also titled Man on Fire.
Denzel Washington as John Creasy.
Directed by Tony Scott, the latter focused on the character on a revenge mission in Mexico after the young girl (Dakota Fanning) that he served as the bodyguard of is abducted. While it received mixed reviews upon release, it was a big hit - particularly on the home video market - and has become one of Washington's best films.
The Hollywood Reporter says Netflix's Man on Fire series has quietly been in the works for months. It also states that Kyle Killen (Fear Street, Halo) is attached to the project as a writer, executive producer and showrunner.
You can read JOE's lengthy tribute to Denzel Washington's version of Man on Fire right here.
- A major MCU character is returning after 15 year break from series
- Colm Tóibín's sequel to Brooklyn will be published next year
- The location of The White Lotus Season 3 has reportedly been revealed
- 10 years ago, the makers of Trainspotting reunited for a supremely underrated thriller
- New trailer released for Tommy Wiseau's follow-up to The Room
- You can finally watch one of 2022's very best movies at home
- Shrinking is the best show nobody is watching right now