The Reckoning: Steve Coogan as Jimmy Savile in new BBC trailer
The four-part series will air its first episode very soon.
The trailer for the new BBC drama The Reckoning has just dropped featuring Steve Coogan as Jimmy Savile. The series consists of four episodes and stars the Alan Partridge actor as the disgraced entertainer.
The drama has been written by Neil McKay (Appropriate Adult, See No Evil), will "trace the life of Jimmy Savile, a man who, for decades, became one of the UK’s most influential celebrities, but in death has become one of the most reviled figures of modern history following revelations of extensive and horrific abuse".
The BBC added: "Savile used his involvement in multiple organisations, such as the BBC, hospitals, prisons, and charities, to legitimise himself, forging friendships in show business, politics, journalism, the Catholic Church and even the Royal family to cement his position."
Check out the trailer for The Reckoning right here:
The Reckoning will show Savile "hiding in plain sight"
There was backlash when the drama was initially announced, with many arguing that people such as Savile should not be immortalised in film or television.
Coogan himself responded to the backlash, saying: "It is controversial and I understand that. The BBC are damned if they do and damned if they don’t, and I believe the correct choice is to be damned if they do.
"Broadly, it’s better to talk about something than not. The team had the right attitude and it was done with the cooperation of survivors. I think when it’s broadcast, it will vindicate itself."
In a press release, the BBC added: "It is important to understand how he was able to hide in plain sight in order to gain a greater understanding of how he evaded justice. The drama aims to highlight the importance of confronting the horrors of the past and talking openly about abuse."
The Reckoning premieres on BBC One on Monday 9 October.
- One of the best Irish documentaries of recent years has been added to Prime Video
- Fan favourite Bond director reveals he doesn't want the gig
- REVIEW: The Creator is the perfect mix of Avatar and District 9
- 2024 Oscar favourite Cassandro is available to watch at home right now
- Sicario 3 is officially in the works
- John Wick action director gives The Raid remake update
- Netflix reveals all of October's new series and movies
- The Departed alternative ending would've ruined the movie