Netflix unveils first look at controversial Squid Game reality show
It will see 456 real players compete for the largest cash prize in reality TV history.
As part of its Tudum event to promote its upcoming releases - which also include the ambitious new project from the makers of Game of Thrones - Netflix has released the first teaser for its Squid Game reality show.
Based on the streaming service's hit South Korean drama, Squid Game: The Challenge will see 456 real players enter a non-deadly version of the series' contest in pursuit of a life-changing cash prize of $4.56 million.
Said to be the largest cash prize in reality television history, Netflix's plot synopsis for the reality show reads:
"Through a series of games, each player will be pushed to their limits and forced to ask themselves just how far they’ll go to win, with opportunistic alliances, cutthroat strategies and timely betrayals to follow."
Filming for Squid Game: The Challenge took place at Cardington Studios near Bedford in the UK, with the show being produced by Studio Lambert and The Garden.
Earlier this year, the series sparked controversy after The Sun reported that contestants wound up spending hours in temperatures of -3C and were required to remain completely motionless to win the reality show's first game - Red Light, Green Light.
The outlet stated that some players suffered what felt like frostbite and that at least one contestant was stretchered off.
However, Netflix later defended the conditions on Squid Game: The Challenge's set. In a statement, the streamer - along with Studio Lambert and The Garden - confirmed that three people were treated for "mild medical conditions" but added that claims of serious injury during the filming of the reality show were false.
“We care deeply about the health and safety of our cast and crew, and invested in all the appropriate safety procedures," the statement read.
“While it was very cold on set – and participants were prepared for that – any claims of serious injury are untrue.”
Comprising of 10 episodes, Squid Game: The Challenge will premiere on Netflix in November. You can check out its teaser right here:
- Here is your first look at the new show from the makers of Game of Thrones
- REVIEW: Extraction 2 has some of the best action you'll ever see
- Ranking the new Black Mirror episodes from worst to best
- The makers of The Flash discuss why it took decades to bring the hero to the big screen
- The makers of The Flash describe Michael Keaton's first day back as Batman
- Netflix has just added a very tense thriller series to its library
- Disney shuffles around movie release date calendar - impacting Avatar, Marvel and Star Wars films
- Netflix has just added one of the funniest movies of the last few years