Legendary singer Tony Bennett has passed away aged 96
Music icon Tony Bennett has sadly passed away at the age of 96.
The Grammy winner died in New York City on Friday morning, his publicist confirmed. The legendary singer was 96-years-old.
Bennett's publicist Sylvia Weiner announced the heartbreaking news this afternoon. She confirmed the iconic singer passed away in a statement to Associated Press.
Bennett's cause of death has not yet been confirmed. Tributes have been pouring in following the singer's passing.
RIP Tony Bennetthttps://t.co/C7yTMnNn67
— That Salvadoran OV (@KrimsonVnm) July 21, 2023
Tony Bennett has passed away at the age of 96. An incredible life. Rest in peace… pic.twitter.com/v7nxcXYQ4A
— Rex Chapman🏇🏼 (@RexChapman) July 21, 2023
The singer rose to fame in the 1950s. He collaborated with music legends from Aretha Franklin, to Amy Winehouse and Lady Gaga.
The 20-time Grammy nominee passed away in his hometown of New York.
View this post on Instagram
The singer performed until 2021 when doctors ordered him to retire following an Alzheimer's diagnosis in 2016.
He performed alongside Lady Gaga at New York's Radio City Music Hall before retiring.
Frank Sinatra once said Bennett was "for my money the best singer in the business, the best exponent of a song."
- Gogglebox Ireland is looking for new TV fanatics for their new season
- Mission Impossible cast want an Oscar category for Best Stunt
- 2023's best hidden gem is now available to watch at home
- Cillian Murphy delivers priceless reaction to WWE legend's Peaky Blinders tattoo
- 20 years ago this week, a movie flopped so bad that its big director and bigger star never worked again