Nearly 75% of all Irish spending on Black Friday was local - Revolut 1 year ago

Nearly 75% of all Irish spending on Black Friday was local - Revolut

The majority of spending was carried out in person.

Irish Revolut users opted to shop local this past Black Friday, with 71% of all purchases going towards businesses in Ireland.


The data was revealed in a Revolut Report from November 2021.

54% of all shopping was carried out in person, with the remaining 46% online.

The top purchases in Ireland were toys, furniture, and sportswear.

However, 67% of all online shopping was spent on foreign websites, rather than locally.


The top purchases online were books, clothing, and cosmetics.

Speaking to RTÉ News, Head of Public Relations for Revolut Ireland, Sebastian Hamilton welcomed the findings of the report.

"Overall, the fact that the vast majority of Black Friday spending was carried out with businesses in Ireland or on Irish websites is good news for our economy. It is a testament to all those who have campaigned and encouraged Irish consumers to shop Irish," he said.

"However Revolut’s data also reveal that more of our online shopping is being carried out with overseas websites than before. Retailers and policy-makers will want to consider this trend for the future."


The app is reportedly used by around 1.5 million people in Ireland, with a global base of around 15.5 million.

Revolut co-founder and Chief Technology officer Vlad Yatsenko found himself in Irish headlines this year following a €1.1 million donation towards the Late Late Toy Show appeal.

The donation came as Revolut experienced major outages during the broadcast as millions from around the world used the app to contribute to the appeal.

RTÉ and Revolut had partnered together to provide a donation service to Revolut users, but as the app crashed, viewers were encouraged to donate over the phone or via RTÉ's website.


"What an incredible support Revolut customers gave to a worthy charity Late Late Toy Show! Granted, there were some challenges at the peek (sic) of the live campaign. So, I've personally donated €100K, and will also match any further donations this weekend via Revolut up to €1M," Yatsenko wrote.