Craig Gilroy issues statement to “apologise unreservedly” for WhatsApp message linked to Belfast trial 1 year ago

Craig Gilroy issues statement to “apologise unreservedly” for WhatsApp message linked to Belfast trial

Gilroy will not be available to play for Ulster this weekend as he is subject to an internal review by Ulster Rugby and the IRFU.

Ulster and Ireland winger Craig Gilroy has issued a statement to “apologise unreservedly” for a WhatsApp message sent in July 2016 that was revealed in evidence in the rape trial that concluded in Belfast last week.

Gilroy was revealed to have used offensive terms about women in a WhatsApp conversation involving the defendants in the trial, which concluded with all four defendants, including Gilroy’s Ulster teammates Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding, being acquitted of all charges.

In a statement posted on his Twitter account on Tuesday night, Gilroy said that he “would like to apologise unreservedly for any offence caused” by the message and though he clarified that it was sent privately, he said it was “totally inappropriate” and “not an accurate reflection of my beliefs nor Ulster Rugby’s values”.

Gilroy said that he takes full responsibility for his actions and “in future will ensure the language I use in private or public better reflects who I am and what I stand for”.

“I am deeply sorry for the hurt my comment has caused,” Gilroy added.

The statement in full can be read below.

Gilroy’s statement comes after it was revealed that he will not be available for selection for Ulster’s Guinness Pro14 clash with Edinburgh this Friday as he is subject to an internal review by Ulster Rugby and the IRFU.

A joint statement issued on Tuesday read: “Ulster Rugby and the IRFU confirm that, as Craig Gilroy is subject to an internal review, he will not be available for selection this weekend.”