Had a missed call from any of these numbers? Do not call them back
It has scam written all over it...
According to Donegal Daily, phone users have been getting constant calls from unknown numbers from foreign countries.
Calls have been received from as far as the Seychelles and they often come at the same time of the day, each day, and ring for short periods before stopping.
Country codes that have been reported are those that begin with: +248 (Seychelles), +676 (Tonga), +674 (Nauru), +222 (Mauritania) and +235 (Chad), if you have received multiple calls from any of these area codes, block the number immediately.
Ireland’s communications regulator ComReg has warned that these could be scam calls and that people should be vigilant when answering or ringing back unknown numbers.
ComReg advises taking the following precautions:
• Avoid answering calls from numbers that you cannot identify, especially if you are not expecting a call.
• Hang up immediately, on calls where there appears to be no recipient on the other end.
• Be wary of multiple calls being received from the same number.
• Do not call back any number that leaves you a blank voicemail message.
• Do not provide any personal information for example – banking details/PPS number/credit card details/name and address/passport number etc.