Ryan Tubridy "approached by UK channel" following RTÉ exit
"Ryan Tubridy is a fantastic broadcaster."
Ryan Tubridy has been approached by bosses of UK programme GB News following his exit from RTÉ, according to reports.
It was revealed last week that the former Late Late Show host would not be returning to his radio show on RTÉ after Director General Kevin Bakhurst confirmed negotiations between the two had broken down.
The Sun has now reported that GB News has been in contact with Ryan since last Friday to discuss a role in the UK.
GB News editorial director Michael Booker told the publication: “Ryan Tubridy is a fantastic broadcaster. A people’s presenter with great wit and empathy."
While he refused to discuss what the negotiations were, Booker said: "We keep a keen eye on broadcasters across the UK and Ireland.”
A senior station source also told the publication that contact was initially made with NK Management after coverage of the RTÉ payments scandal.
The source said: "Even if Ryan Tubridy doesn’t sign with GB News, it will certainly pique interest from other UK broadcasters, that they should be taking a look at Tubs too.”
RTÉ confirms Ryan Tubridy will not be continuing on hosting radio show
Bakhurst confirmed last week that Ryan was "shocked and disappointed" after he was told he would no longer be hosting his Radio One show.
Speaking on RTÉ One, Bakhurst said it was a "difficult conversation" with Ryan only hours before the news broke.
He said: “I would say he was shocked and disappointed. It was a difficult conversation.”
“Now is not the right time for Ryan to come back,” he explained. “We need to focus on rebuilding trust with the audience.”
Ryan was removed from his radio show in June after it was discovered that he received €345,000 in overpayments during a six year period.
Following the breakdown in negotiations to get Ryan back on air, Bakhurst released a statement which read: “We went into negotiations with Ryan in good faith and in the hopes of reaching an agreement that would see Ryan return to his RTÉ Radio 1 show.
"I have decided not to continue with negotiations and, as such, there are no plans for Ryan to return to his presenting role with RTÉ at this time.
“Despite having agreed some of the fundamentals, including fee, duration and hours, regretfully, it is my view that trust between the parties has broken down.
“Public statements made without consultation appear to question the basis for the necessary restatement of fees paid for services for 2020 and 2021.”
- Ryan Tubridy's exasperated five-word reply to RTÉ ending negotiations
- Piers Morgan hit with backlash after Women’s World Cup final joke
- Spain World Cup winner told after final that father has died
- Two men die while competing in Ironman event in Cork