Sean Cox is 'progressing, albeit very slowly' after his attack outside Anfield
His brothers have thanked everyone for their "incredible" support.
Sean Cox's brothers have said that he's 'progressing, albeit very slowly' following the vicious attack outside Anfield that left him in a coma, as reported by the Liverpool Echo.
Prior to Liverpool's Champions League semi-final first leg against Roma, Mr Cox was assaulted.
The 53-year-old father-of-three from Meath was left in a critical condition after the attack and had to be transferred to Walton Neurological Centre in Liverpool. He was placed in a medically induced coma shortly after undergoing surgery.
Mr Cox is currently being treated at the National Rehabilitation Centre in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin.
With regards to his attackers, Roma supporter Filippo Lombardi was found not guilty of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Cox but he was jailed for three years for violent disorder.
Daniele Scuisco, another Roma fan who was involved in the attack, was previously jailed for two and a half years.
Scuisco was not sentenced for the attack on Mr Cox, but rather for taking part in the actions that may have led to that incident.
Mr Cox's two brothers, Martin and Peter, recently visited Liverpool to thank the community for their assistance in raising funds to help pay for their brother's medical fees and they provided an update on his health.
— Radio City News (@RadioCityNews) November 17, 2018
During the conversation, Martin Cox said that his brother is "progressing, albeit very slowly",
Martin Cox adds: "One minute you are down walking to the match with your brother, a Champions League semi-final. Then in the space of 12 seconds your life is changed completely. It's like a sliding doors moment. Walking up, arm in arm, we couldn't wait to get into the ground - a Champions League semi-final, the biggest game of the season. And the next minute we are in an ambulance being rushed to the Walton Centre. It was surreal, horrific, life changing."
Speaking at an event to thank Liverpool fans for their support, he added: "It's gradually getting better as we see Sean improving, but it's changed all our lives. You see Martina and the kids, it's devastating for everyone. But we are clinging on to seeing Sean improving. Those little steps of getting better, that's what we have got to cling on to."
At present, more than £400,000 has been donated to support Mr Cox's ongoing medical needs with Seamus Coleman, Jurgen Klopp, AS Roma, and Liverpool FC all donating sums.
Donations can be made to the Support Sean appeal here.