Status yellow thunderstorm weather warning issued for 11 counties
Be careful out there.
Met Eireann has issued a Status Yellow thunderstorm weather warning for 11 counties as rain is forecasted across the country today (Monday, 8 May).
The weather warning is set to impact Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Tipperary Westmeath and Wicklow and will be in place from midday until 9pm this evening. The national forecaster says that the warning comes with the potential for spot flooding and hazardous travel conditions.
⚠️Status Yellow Thunderstorm Warning issued⚠️
●Hazardous travelling conditions
Counties: Dublin, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Tipperary & Wicklow
Valid: Today 12 noon to 8pmhttps://t.co/ZsjQsKCXDy pic.twitter.com/TeWx9fp47s
— Met Éireann (@MetEireann) May 8, 2023
Today is set to begin mostly cloudy with misty conditions and patchy drizzle as rain near the east coast quickly clears.
Sunny spells are expected to develop throughout the day with scattered showers, which will become more widespread and heavy during the afternoon.
There will then be some thundery downpours, particularly in the east which will come with the risk of spot flooding. Temperatures are set to be between 14 and 20 degrees.
This evening, heavy and thundery showers will clear and become isolated by nightfall. Clear spells are then set to form with mist in areas, but heavier showers will develop on the west coast as morning arrives.
Temperatures overnight are expected to range between 7 and 10 degrees. Heavy rain and downpours are also expected over the next two days, with thunder predicted to come on Tuesday. Wednesday will also see possibly thundery showers with some sunshine breaking through at times.
- Ed Sheeran on his fears about meeting his Irish musical inspiration
- Bruce Springsteen dedicates song to Charlie Bird for his 'final wish'
- 6 huge shows and one huge movie affected by the Hollywood writers strike
- Ireland has a new highest ever box office grossing writer/director
- Here are all of the 2023 IFTA winners
- Cillian Murphy reveals he was "desperate" to play the lead in a Christopher Nolan movie
- How the cast reacted to the final Guardians of the Galaxy song