Luis Suarez: Liverpool broke their promises and I want to leave
It now looks highly unlikely that the Uruguayan striker will ever pull on a Liverpool shirt again.
In a sensational interview with the Guardian’s Sid Lowe, Luis Suarez has spoken about his desire to leave and the reasons behind that decision.
The 26-year-old claims that he made a deal with Liverpool last summer, in writing, that said if they didn’t make the Champions League, he would be allowed to leave.
"Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I'd be allowed to go," he revealed. "I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish – now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement."
“I don't feel betrayed [by Liverpool] but the club promised me something a year ago just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League.
"They gave me their word a year ago and now I want them to honour that. And it is not just something verbal with the coach but something that is written in the contract. I'm not going to another club to hurt Liverpool."
The now infamous £40,000,000 clause also comes up. Suarez’s camp believe the £40m figure was agreed as a price that Liverpool would have to sell at. The club interpret the contract differently but Suarez tells the Guardian he is prepared to go to the authorities to resolve it, if necessary.
"I have the club's word and we have the written contract and we are happy to take this to the Premier League for them to decide the case but I do not want it to come to that," he said.
As for the reasons for leaving, the Champions League is the main driver.
"I'm 26. I need to be playing in the Champions League. I waited one year and no one can say that I did not give everything possible with my team-mates last season to get us there.
“It is not as if I am asking to move to a local rival. And I would not consider moving to a club outside the Champions League. I have made my desire to move known in private various times and now it feels like the time for me to make it public.”
Up to now Brendan Rodgers has told everyone that nothing has changed and that the player is not for sale. Up to now the fans have supported Suarez and even cheered him over the weeke3nd and at an open training session on Monday.
We wonder will both those positions change now, and what happens next. Whatever happens, it is hard to see Suarez staying at Anfield after this.