The dream combo of Christmas markets and cheap pints.
The ‘cheapest city for beer’ in Europe is also home to one of the best hidden-gem Christmas markets on the continent as well.
Located in the east of Hungary, Debrecen is the capital of the country’s Northern Great Plain region and is widely accepted to be the destination for the cheapest pint in Europe.
According to pintprice.com, a pint of beer in Debrecen will set you back just 82p on average.
And you can get even lower prices depending on your tipple, with a pint of Soproni lager costing only 79p (€90c).
This is cheaper than you’d get a bottle of water for in most shops in the UK or Ireland.
And with December around the corner, you can get your festive fix in the city as well. Last year, Debrecen was at number five in Travelmag’s list of the 20 most charming small Christmas Markets in Europe.
A flight to get there will last less than three hours, and if you pick the right day and time you can nab return flights for less than £100.
The city has plenty of history and culture to offer along with cheap prices and Christmas markets. The former capital of Hungary, it’s the country’s second-largest city and is also one of its most historic.
Some of its sights include the golden Calvinist Great Church, the historic Aranybika hotel and Debrecen’s central square, along with its thermal baths and plenty of museums.
And you can also find a UNESCO World Heritage Site, in the form of Hortobagy National Park, which is north of the city centre. This is a huge area of plains and wetlands, and home to some impressive wildlife.
(First published on JOE.co.uk).
- Ryan Tubridy confirms new job with UK radio station
- Disney+ has just released one of 2023’s best mystery thriller shows
- One of the best thriller shows on TV is returning to screens very soon
- Wednesday Season 2 will be filmed in Ireland
- Barry Keoghan stars in first look at Band of Brothers follow-up
- A biographical movie about Elon Musk is in the works
- Zac Efron responds to claims Matthew Perry wanted to cast him in biopic