UK politician tweets abuse in reaction to Ireland giving zero points in Eurovision
There have been all sorts of reactions to the last night's Eurovision Song Contest.
Yes, the most entertaining, most comp, least European singing contest (Hi, Australia!) in the world really is nothing more than the rhyming version of the Galactic Senate, with people voting for their neighbours and everyone being jealous of Sweden's song-writing ability.
Here's what we've had so far:
- Norway calling Ireland out for basically not even trying, before the competition even began.
- Ireland then not making it into past the semi-finals, the surprise of exactly zero people.
- Samantha Mumba volunteering to represent us in Eurovision 2018.
- People losing their minds for Australia's entry.
- The RubberBandits volunteering to represent us in Eurovision 2018. (Kinda)
- Everyone thinking Germany ripped off Sia's hit single "Titanium".
- The UK contestant throwing shade at Ireland for not giving her any points.
And now as a direct follow up to that, well, we'll let Warwick Tory Counsellor Nick Harrington tell you via the tweets that reportedly came from his account during the show's airing:
Warwick Tory Cllr Nick Harrington tweets offensive comment about gypsies and a 'hard border' because Ireland gave UK no points at Eurovision pic.twitter.com/P29yIpdVK7
— Scott Nelson (@SocialistVoice) May 14, 2017
And if you thought that might have been the only offensive thing he might had tweeted during the Eurovision Song Contest (and we really can't emphasise that enough, that this is all because of the Eurovision Song Contest), well, you are way off...
— BelieveTheTruth (@Sam_BTT) May 14, 2017
And yes, it does appear that he deleted his account immediately after these tweets went out (or maybe Twitter took it down for abusive tweets?).
As you can imagine, the reaction online has been gigantic, with most calling for his immediate resignation.
Speaking to Newstalk, the leader of Warwick District Council, Councillor Andrew Mobbs confirmed that Mr Harrington has been suspended "with immediate effect for six months. [...] I found his comments completely unacceptable."
Meanwhile, a separate investigation has also been launched into the incident.
While you're here... Why not watch the latest episode of The JOE Show with special guests Delorentos!
Read more about: