Christopher Nolan's upcoming blockbuster Oppenheimer is reportedly going to be very long
It is claimed that it will be Nolan's longest movie to date.
There is no doubt that the biggest date in movie lovers' calendars this year should be 21 July, the day in which both Greta Gerwig's Barbie and Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer arrive in Irish cinemas.
That said, those planning a double bill of the two radically different films back to back should be aware of the report from Puck's Matt Beloni claiming that Oppenheimer will have a runtime of "around three hours".
This would make the movie the longest of Nolan's career, surpassing his 2014 film Interstellar's 169-minute length.
Based on the book American Prometheus, Oppenheimer will focus on the life of theoretical physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer (played by Cillian Murphy) and his contributions that led to the creation of the atomic bomb.
Alongside Murphy, the cast of the blockbuster also features Alden Ehrenreich, Casey Affleck, Dane DeHaan, Emily Blunt, Florence Pugh, Gary Oldman, Jack Quaid, Jason Clarke, Josh Hartnett, Kenneth Branagh, Matt Damon, Rami Malek and Robert Downey Jr amongst many more.
Oppenheimer covers 45 years
Oppenheimer's three-hour-long runtime would make sense, given the comments months ago from the movie's costume designer Ellen Mirojnick that the epic will span 45 years in time.
Appearing on the podcast From Tailors with Love, Mirojnick discussed the differences between working on the recent Steven Soderbergh film Kimi and Nolan's picture.
She said: "[Kimi] was one location basically for the entire thing... That story was minuscular.
"Oppenheimer covers 45 years and quite a lot in the Los Alamos time and Oppenheimer's life from beginning to end."
J. Robert Oppenheimer managed the Los Alamos Laboratory during the Manhattan Project, which produced the first nuclear weapons.
Some have speculated based on Mirojnick's comments that the film will cover the theoretical physicist's life from his first days in Cambridge all the way to his death in 1967.
You can watch the trailer for Oppenheimer right here:
- New trailer released for Tommy Wiseau's follow-up to The Room
- 'The greatest film of all time' is being remade with a massive A-lister reportedly in talks to star
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon had another huge star in mind for Robin Williams' Good Will Hunting role
- Bella Ramsey reveals when fans of The Last of Us can expect the second season
- Peaky Blinders creator set to write a new Star Wars movie
- Mission Impossible is bringing back a very obscure character
- One of the most underappreciated movies of the decade is now available to watch at home
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are making Cillian Murphy's new movie which is filming in Ireland