Comedy star reportedly in talks to become the new M in James Bond
By Charlie Herbert
Bond bosses want to take the franchise in a “lighter and more comedic” direction.
Daisy May Cooper is reportedly in talks to take on the role of M in the next James Bond film, with producers looking to take the character in a “different direction.”
The 36-year-old, best known for her work with her brother Charlie on the critically-acclaimed BBC comedy This Country, is thought to be a top contender for the role.
Production bosses are apparently hoping Cooper will allow the character and franchise as a whole to become “a bit lighter and more comedic.”
In the book and film series, M is the head of MI6 and Bond’s boss. During the Daniel Craig era of Bond films, the character was played by Judi Dench and then Ralph Fiennes.
Producers are currently on the hunt for a new 007 to replace Daniel Craig
A film insider said that Cooper has been involved in talks for her to take on the role of M thanks to her friendship with Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who was a writer on the last 007 film No Time To Die.
The source told The Sun:
“Daisy is a close pal of Phoebe, whose involvement in Bond was such a success that it sparked an unlikely conversation. Suddenly the production team were getting excited about the prospect of really taking M in a different direction.
“With Daniel leaving, it seemed the time to start looking at changes across the board and the dynamic between Bond and M is at the heart of the films”, the source said.
“So this opens the door to it being a bit lighter and more comedic going forwards — and will of course impact the direction the new 007 goes in too.”
In 2018, Cooper won the TV BAFTA award for Best Female Comedy Performance for her performance in This Country.
- One of the most underappreciated movies of the decade is now available to watch at home
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are making Cillian Murphy's new movie which is filming in Ireland
- God's Creatures is the ultimate Irish Mammy movie
- Everyone's favourite movie when they were a kid is FINALLY getting a sequel
- Oscar-winning directors are reportedly working on new Star Wars series
- Yellowjackets cast reveal their biggest unsolved mysteries ahead of Season 2