ITV says there are "no current plans" for a next series of The X Factor 1 month ago

ITV says there are "no current plans" for a next series of The X Factor

“There are no current plans for the next series of The X Factor at this stage.”

ITV has said that there are "no current plans" for another series of The X Factor after reports that Simon Cowell has decided to cut the show after 17 years.

Advertisement

The Sun reported on Wednesday that Cowell is set to shelve the long-running reality television show for at least five years.

An ITV spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday: “There are no current plans for the next series of The X Factor at this stage.”

However, there is still a possibility it could make a return after that as ITV boss Kevin Lygo said at 2020's Edinburgh TV Festival that the show wouldn't be back after it's hiatus in 2021, but did give X Factor fans hope as he said it may "be back at some stage".

The singing competition last aired back in 2018, when Dalton Harris took home the winning title. It was hosted by presenter Dermot O'Leary at the time and featured Louis Tomlinson, Ayda Field and Robbie Williams as judges.

Judges such as Sharon Osbourne, Louis Walsh and Nicole Scherzinger had been some of the most consistent over the show's run, with many other celebrities stepping in to fill the role through the years, such as Cheryl Cole and Mel B.

The programme first aired back in 2004 and had birthed a number of spin-off shows relating to the programme in recent years such as X Factor: Celebrity and X Factor: The Band in 2019.

The show has been responsible for launching the careers of many popular musicians such as One Direction, Little Mix, Olly Murs and Alexandra Burke to name just a few.

Advertisement

It comes as last month it was reported that Cowell is set to make a return to UK TV to lead a brand new panel of judges in a new musical gameshow.

The programme, titled Walk The Line, will air on ITV.