49 people dead in mass shooting in New Zealand
None of the suspects were on terrorism watchlists.
49 people have died in New Zealand after shootings during Friday prayers at two mosques in Christchurch.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called it “one of New Zealand’s darkest days” and said that four people had been taken into custody for the terrorist attack.
"It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack. From what we know, it does appear to have been well planned," she said.
New Zealand’s threat level has been raised from low to high and Ardern said none of the suspects were on terrorism watchlists.
Police said the four people, three men and a woman, had been taken into custody, and that they had found and neutralised a number of improvised explosive devices.
Video footage of the shootings was widely shared on social media, footage which was reportedly taken by the gunman and posted online live as the attack unfolded.