Controversial Dún Laoghaire co-living scheme gets approval 2 years ago

Controversial Dún Laoghaire co-living scheme gets approval

The company behind the scheme has said co-living is aimed at young people moving to Dublin for work.

Permission has been granted for a 208-bedroom co-living scheme in Dún Laoghaire on condition that each unit will have its own cooking facilities.

Advertisement

The development will be different to what was originally proposed, which was that there would be one kitchen area for every 40 people.

The co-living model, similarly to student accommodation, doesn't have to meet the minimum studio apartment sizes of 37 square metres.

According to RTÉ, it also does not have to provide underground car parking for residents.

Leases on the units will be from two to 12 months.

Advertisement

A similar proposal was previously rejected by An Bórd Pleanála in Cookstown, Tallaght.

Developers Bartra Capital Property issued a statement on Tuesday welcoming the decision, saying that it reflects Ireland's need to cater for changing living habits.

Bartra CEO Mike Flannery said: "This is a pragmatic decision based on Ireland's need to embrace new tenure types.

"The Bord recognises that there is a place for co-living within the Irish housing market and we look forward to delivering this new and innovative form of accommodation."

Advertisement

Local TD, Richard Boyd Barrett, has condemned the decision by An Bord Pleanála as "shocking and disgraceful".

The People Before Profit TD said that "this development is not about solving the housing crisis but exploiting it for profit".

Advertisement