Leo Varadkar says alleged assault on migrant camp in Dublin has the 'look of' a racist attack
He described the incident as "very disturbing" and said it "requires a full investigation".
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has spoken out about an alleged attack on a camp of homeless migrants in Dublin at the weekend.
In a statement to JOE, Gardaí said they received reports of an incident on River Road in Ashtown on Saturday afternoon (28 January).
"Gardaí responded quickly and engaged with those present. There were no reports of any injuries and no formal complaints made at this time," a Garda spokesperson stated, adding that "enquiries are ongoing".
In a statement on social media, former Socialist TD and activist Ruth Coppinger said "a number of men with dogs, sticks and a baseball bat attacked a campsite on the banks of the Tolka River" and shouted at the occupants to "get out".
"One Polish man was hit with a baseball bat several times. The attack was interrupted by journalists and would undoubtedly have been even more serious," she added.
"The men living in the tents are of various EU and non-EU nationalities and had been working and renting here but had become homeless."
Statement from me about why we must stand out against racist attacks - Monday 30 Jan 6pm
Ashtown station #Ashtown #dubw #noracism pic.twitter.com/wD1jg3Liz1
— Ruth Coppinger (@RuthCoppingerSP) January 29, 2023
Speaking about the incident on Newstalk's The Pat Kenny Show on Monday morning, Varadkar described it as "very disturbing".
“Obviously, I’ve heard the reports in the media. I don’t have the report from the Gardaí yet but I am going to seek one," he stated.
“I am always reluctant to comment on something without knowing the full facts but it has the feel and look of, essentially, a racist attack.
“These are people who are foreigners. People who were sleeping rough.
“I think it requires a full investigation by the Gardaí and it is something that I am going to pursue with them."
Main image via Leah Farrell/RollingNews.ie