Search icon


21st Mar 2018

Man dies in freak accident after getting his head stuck in a cinema seat

Rory Cashin

The tragic incident occurred in the UK.

A cinema-goer has died following a freak accident involving an electronic chair in a Birmingham cinema.

As reported by Birmingham Live, the man dropped his phone in the Gold Class section of the VUE cinema screen at the end of the movie.

He bent down to retrieve it, but when he did, the electric seat’s footrest clamped down on his neck.

According to the report, both he and his partner tried frantically to release him, and eventually the foot rest was broken and he was freed.

The man was immediately taken to hospital following the incident, which took place on Friday 9 March.

On Tuesday evening, VUE confirmed that the man had died from his injuries on Friday 16 March.

A spokesperson for Vue said: “A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

A spokesperson for the Head of Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council said: “The City Council’s Environmental Health team were notified of this incident and a Health and Safety investigation has begun.

“We are unable to comment further at this stage, as the investigation is ongoing.”

LISTEN: You Must Be Jokin’ with Aideen McQueen – Faith healers, Coolock craic and Gigging as Gaeilge