Manchester United and Mason Greenwood "mutually agree" to part ways
Manchester United have announced that the club and Mason Greenwood have "mutually agreed" to part ways, in statement released today.
A statement on the club's website reads:
"Manchester United has concluded its internal investigation into the allegations made against Mason Greenwood. Our process commenced in February 2023, following all charges against Mason being dropped. Throughout, we have taken into account the wishes, rights and perspective of the alleged victim along with the club’s standards and values, and sought to collate as much information and context as possible. This has required us to proceed with sensitivity and care to obtain evidence not in the public domain, including from those with direct knowledge of the case.
"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.
"All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome"
Manchester United release Mason Greenwood after reported U-turn.
Last Wednesday (August 16), the club released a statement confirming that the findings of their investigation were complete and an update was imminent. However, it said that is still in the “final stages” of making a decision.
The club stressed that throughout the process “the welfare and perspective of the alleged victim” had been central to inquiries, but it also had “responsibilities to Mason Greenwood as an employee.”
On the same day, The Athletic reported that United chief executive Richard Arnold had previously informed club staff of his plan to sanction Greenwood's return.
However, the statement and reported decision (of letting Greenwood return) received enormous backlash. Ahead of United's clash against Wolves on the opening day of the season, fans protested outside the stadium to voice their voices against any return.
Numerous domestic abuse charities also demanded Greenwood not be reinstated into the club.
- Man United considering dropping Greenwood from squad due to fan backlash
- Gary Neville rips into Casemiro after Man United's narrow win over Wolves
- "This is not on the owners" Jamie Carragher gives interesting take on Liverpool's transfer mess
- Graeme Souness refuses to back down over his Casemiro claim