Netflix Ireland and UK launches immediate password crackdown
Netflix members will begin receiving updates on their accounts from today.
Well, we knew this day was coming, and it is finally here. Netflix are officially kicking off their password crackdown in Ireland and the UK from today, meaning that if you share your Netflix account details with anyone outside of your household... well, prepare for that no longer to be case.
More details about the new password sharing rules were released when Netflix first kicked off the new restrictions earlier this year, but as per the Netflix statement today (Tuesday 23 May):
"Starting today, we will be sending this email to members who are sharing Netflix outside their household in Ireland and the United Kingdom.
"A Netflix account is for use by one household. Everyone living in that household can use Netflix wherever they are – at home, on the go, on holiday – and take advantage of new features like Transfer Profile and Manage Access and Devices.
"We recognise that our members have many entertainment choices. It’s why we continue to invest heavily in a wide variety of new films and TV programmes – so whatever your taste, mood or language and whoever you’re watching with, there’s always something satisfying to watch on Netflix."
The letter in question goes as follows:
Dear Netflix Member,
Your Netflix account is for you and the people you live with – your household. You can easily watch Netflix on the go and when you travel – either on your personal devices or a TV at a hotel or holiday home. To control how your account is used, you can:
- Check who’s using your Netflix. Review which devices are signed in to your account. Sign out of devices that shouldn’t have access and consider changing your password.
If you want to share Netflix with someone outside your household, you can use these features:
- Transfer a profile. Anyone on your account can transfer a profile to a new membership that they pay for.
- Buy an extra member*. You can share your Netflix account with someone who doesn’t live with you for €4.99/£4.99 per month more.
We know you might have questions. Our Help Centre has more detailed information for you. Thank you for choosing Netflix. We appreciate your membership, and we look forward to bringing you more great TV programmes and films.
*Extra Member currently unavailable for members who pay for Netflix through a third party or as part of a bundle.
There is a Basic With Adverts pricing tier for those who want to pay less for their Netflix subscription, in exchange for seeing some adverts appear at the beginning, during and at the end of their movies and shows, but this tier has yet to be launched in Ireland.
- 15 years ago, this movie proved that critics aren't always right
- A 2015 movie has suddenly become the most expensive movie ever made
- HBO reveals Succession's chilling final ever episode trailer
- Fast X director plans to set Fast & Furious 11 scenes in Ireland
- Ben Affleck's new movie could end up being the biggest flop of 2023
- Disney+ to forever remove over 50 huge shows and movies from its library