Amber Heard pays Johnny Depp seven-figure settlement
Depp says he will split the money between five charities
Amber Heard has agreed to a seven-figure settlement after losing a high-profile defamation battle with her ex-husband, Johnny Depp.
The American actress, who has quit Hollywood and relocated to Spain following the trial, has handed over $1 million after initially been ordered to pay $15 million in damages.
It comes after Heard wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post which indirectly accused Depp of domestic abuse.
According to TMZ, the $1 million settlement is covered by Heard’s insurance and Depp has now received it, with the fee being split equally among the five charities he has chosen.
It will be split five ways across charities Depp has chosen.
Among those Depp has elected are the Make-A-Film Foundation, a charity which works with critically ill children to help them make short films, and The Painted Turtle which provides a camp experience for kids with serious medical conditions.
The three other charities receiving the money are Red Feather, which seeks to provide safe housing to Native Americans, the Tetiaroa Society which is working to preserve the ecosystem on the Pacific island, and the Amazonia Fund Alliance which protects indigenous communities in the world’s largest tropical rainforest.
Depp recently received a long-standing ovation for his latest film, Jeanne du Barry, at the Cannes Film Festival.
He was warmly welcomed in the south of France by a flurry of fans who screamed and cheered as he cut a cheery figure in front of photographers.
The crowd in the theatre was equally welcoming.
Leaping to their feet, there was a remarkable 7-minute ovation for Depp, who held back tears as he took his seat.
- The makers of The Flash describe Michael Keaton's first day back as Batman
- Netflix has just added a very tense thriller series to its library
- Disney shuffles around movie release date calendar - impacting Avatar, Marvel and Star Wars films
- Netflix has just added one of the funniest movies of the last few years
- Amazon Prime Video quietly adds 22 huge movies to its library
- One of the best hidden gem shows ever has returned to Netflix
- Oscar winner Morgan Freeman stops by popular Dublin pub during Ireland visit
- Transformers movie producer says the franchise could come to Ireland