Rotten Tomatoes reveals what was the biggest and best movie on its site since its creation
The answer may surprise you.
To celebrate its 25th anniversary, Rotten Tomatoes has unveiled a list of the most major movies for the review-aggregation website since its inception.
Highlighting a number of films that reached significant milestones on the site or during its run, one of the achievements is 'highest Tomatometer score with at least 500 reviews' or essentially biggest and best movie.
After all, while many movies hold 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, most have only had their scores based on a handful of reviews. Therefore, it is much more difficult for a film with over 500 reviews to achieve a high percentage rating on the site.
According to Rotten Tomatoes, the most successful movie in this regard is 2016's Black Panther, which earned a 96% rating with 531 reviews.
"Starring the late Chadwick Boseman as King T’Challa and directed by Ryan Coogler, the Marvel opus combined dazzling action, an ensemble cast, and contemporary social and ancestral themes, going on to gross over $1 billion worldwide and to become the first superhero movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar," the website states.
In terms of other cinematic milestones for Rotten Tomatoes, the 'highest audience score with 500k+ ratings' honour went to 2008's The Dark Knight with 94%.
Meanwhile, the most reviewed movie by critics since the site began was 2019's Joker, which collected 597 critic reviews to earn a 69% score.
You can check out the full list of the Rotten Tomatoes cinematic milestones below. Meanwhile, for more on how the movies earned their honours, visit the review-aggregation website right here.
- FIRST MOVIE TO BE CERTIFIED FRESH - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004), 92%
- HIGHEST TOMATOMETER SCORE WITH AT LEAST 500 REVIEWS - Black Panther (2018), 96%
- HIGHEST AUDIENCE SCORE WITH 500K+ RATINGS - The Dark Knight (2008), 94%
- MOST REVIEWED BY CRITICS - Joker (2019), 69%
- HIGHEST-GROSSING FILM - Avatar (2009), 82%
- LONGEST THEATRICAL RUN - My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002), 76%
- MOST OSCAR NOMINATIONS - La La Land (2016), 91%
- MOST OSCAR WINS - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), 93%
- FIRST STREAMING FILM NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE - Manchester by the Sea (2016), 96%
- MOST STREAMED MOVIE ON NETFLIX - Red Notice (2021), 36%
- 10 years ago, the makers of Trainspotting reunited for a supremely underrated thriller
- Christopher Nolan's upcoming blockbuster Oppenheimer is reportedly going to be very long
- New trailer released for Tommy Wiseau's follow-up to The Room
- Bella Ramsey reveals when fans of The Last of Us can expect the second season
- Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are making Cillian Murphy's new movie which is filming in Ireland
- You can finally watch one of 2022's very best movies at home