One of the best crime drama shows of recent years has just been added to Disney+
The show currently holds a 100% Rotten Tomatoes score.
The Responder, considered to be one of the best crime drama shows of recent years, has just been added to Disney+ in Ireland and the UK.
Created and written by former policeman Tony Schumacher, the series stars Martin Freeman (Sherlock, Fargo) as Chris - a nighttime response officer on the high-pressure streets of Liverpool's city centre.
With the stress of the work already taking a great toll on Chris' mental health and family life, his efforts to save a young drug addict (Emily Fairn, Black Mirror) from harm wind up making him the target of her dealer (Ian Hart, Land and Freedom).
Martin Freeman in The Responder
The Responder first aired on BBC One last year to rave reviews, with particular praise given to Freeman's intense performance, the series' enhanced realism and its moments of dark comedy.
Garnering a perfect 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes, you can read a snippet of some of the very positive write-ups for the show right here:
The Age (Australia): "In this astonishing series created and written by former police officer Tony Schumacher, Martin Freeman manages to infuse the cliche with disturbingly believable humanity."
BBC: "Takes the normal police procedural and things from a normal police drama that you have seen countless times and kind of throws it on the floor and stamps on it!"
Entertainment Weekly: "Freeman, sporting a severe buzz cut and a hollowed-out gaze, brings a chilling intensity to Chris, whose coiled-up rage threatens to strangle the last bit of humanity lingering in his soul."
The Guardian: "Martin Freeman in a nightmare is an absolute dream for viewers."
London Evening Standard: "Authentic, propulsive, funny and powerful, this already feels like a contender for the best police drama of the year."
Consisting of five episodes, The Responder is streaming on Disney+ in Ireland and the UK. You can check out a trailer for the show below:
- One of the best revenge movies of recent years has just been added to Netflix
- Netflix has just added 12 big movies to its library
- Irish viewers will soon no longer be able to watch one of Netflix's best original movies on the service
- Zendaya pays heartbreaking tribute to her Euphoria co-star and friend Angus Cloud
- David Baddiel on why Cillian Murphy should not have played Oppenheimer
- Prime Video shares gory new look at spin-off to its best show
- QUIZ: Can you name what country these horror movies are from?
- 9 must-watch movies coming to cinemas in August