Belfast Telegraph journalist warned of threat against them from loyalist paramilitaries 1 month ago

Belfast Telegraph journalist warned of threat against them from loyalist paramilitaries

“This is the second time this year we’ve had our journalists threatened in this manner."

A journalist working for the Belfast Telegraph has been warned of a threat against them by a loyalist paramilitary group in Northern Ireland.

Advertisement

The newspaper said the South East Antrim UDA is being linked to the latest threat, which comes on the back of a spate of similar threats earlier this year.

Eoin Brannigan, Editor-in-Chief of the Belfast Telegraph and the Sunday Life, has condemned the threat, calling it "outrageous that thugs" are attempting to silence journalists.

“This is the second time this year we’ve had our journalists threatened in this manner," he said.

"It is outrageous that thugs are once again trying to silence a journalist doing their job. We are reassured that the PSNI is taking this threat very seriously.”

The National Union of Journalists has also strongly condemned the threat and said it will not prevent journalists from doing their jobs.

Séamus Dooley, Assistant General Secretary said: “We unreservedly condemn this latest threat, which we understand comes from a loyalist terrorist group. Yet again a journalist is faced with threats simply for doing their job.

"Earlier this year the NUJ, media organisations, political parties, trade union groups and a cross section of business and community groups united in support of reporters under threat from so called paramilitary groups.

Advertisement

"Our clear message today is the same as then: Threats and intimidation have no place in Northern Ireland and journalists will not buckle in the face of these tactics."