Fire service issues warning after sunglasses spark car blaze
By Charlie Herbert
Be careful what you leave on the dashboard this summer.
A fire service in the UK has shared how a pair of sunglasses left on a car’s dashboard managed to cause a huge blaze that ripped through the vehicle.
The shades sparked the fire by magnifying a concentrated ray from the sun. The blaze wound up melting the plastic interior of the car, as well as parts of its engine bay.
The burn broke out at around 5.05pm in Nuthall in Nottinghamshire on Saturday (27 May). It was only extinguished after a fire engine attended the scene.
Sharing an image of the damage, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service warned motorists not to leave reflective objects directly in the sun.
In a social media post, the fire service stated: “The sun has been strong but beware this can cause fire.
“Earlier we attended a fire caused by sunglasses left on the dashboard. Make sure you keep reflective objects out of direct sunlight.”
The sun has been strong but beware this can cause fire ⚠️
Earlier we attended a fire caused by sunglasses left on the dashboard.
Make sure you keep reflective objects out of direct sunlight ✅ pic.twitter.com/RFp2TaEFZL
— Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service (@nottsfire) May 27, 2023
- AI experts warn the technology could lead to human extinction
- Diesel and petrol prices set to rise from this week
- Government to ban the sale of vapes to those under 18
- Scorching temperatures are set to continue into Bank Holiday weekend