
News
Share
Published 08:07 17 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 08:07 17 Aug 2026 BST

Five people have been killed in the M9 crash in Co Kildare, after a car travelling the wrong way up the northbound carriageway hit a second vehicle head-on.
Gardaí said the collision happened between junctions 3 and 4 at approximately 3am on Sunday.
All five who died were in the car driving against the traffic, and all are understood to have been young males. A fifth body was found in the wreckage on Sunday afternoon.
The driver and front-seat passenger of the second car, both women in their 30s, were brought to Tallaght University Hospital in critical condition.
A rear-seat passenger in her 20s went to St Luke's in Kilkenny and a seven-year-old girl to Children's Health Ireland at Crumlin. The Journal reported the family were bound for Dublin Airport.
It is believed the car, a suspected stolen BMW, was trying to evade gardaí investigating a robbery in the area. As gardaí had already been alerted to it, the incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman.
Commissioner Justin Kelly said his thoughts were with the injured family, drawing a line to a recent M50 crash.
This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong-side of the motorway is.
It follows a summer of enforcement on Irish roads, with a Garda road policing operation and heavy speeding detections over the bank holiday.
He added that what makes the behaviour "even more appalling" is that in some cases it is being done for "social media likes". The M9 northbound was sealed off and gardaí in Athy have begun an investigation.
Explore more on these topics:
Man in his 40s dies after Dublin assault as Gardaí appeal for witnesses
His injuries were sustained earlier this week A man in his 40s has died from injuries he sustained in a Dublin assault earlier this week. Gardaí said the man died at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital on Friday, following a serious assault on North Great Charles Street in Dublin 1 on Monday, RTÉ News reported. The […]
News
2 days ago
Five years since Taliban took Afghanistan: Afghan Women in Ireland call for change
Afghanistan fell back into the hands of the Taliban five years ago, and an ultra-conservative rule has taken over. After taking power, the Taliban barred women and girls from secondary and higher education, restricted them from employment, freedom of expression, and movement outside their homes. Half of Afghan women now leave their homes only once […]
News
2 days ago
Exclusive: Thousands of Irish people’s auto-enrolled savings connected to companies arming Israel
News