
News
Share
Published 08:56 17 Aug 2026 BST
Updated 08:56 17 Aug 2026 BST

It has now emerged that the car in which five teenagers died in an early-morning horror crash was driven on the wrong side of the motorway twice in a matter of minutes.
Officers were aware of the car’s movements on the M9 in rural Co Kildare in the run-up to the tragedy, it has been reported.
However, according to The Irish Mirror, sources told the newspaper that gardai did not pursue the car on either occasion.
“Members disengaged the first time it went down the road the wrong way - and didn't get a chance to engage the second time,” a source said.
Occupants of the high-powered BMW were all wearing balaclavas or masks when it ploughed head-on into a family's car, it is understood.
Sources also revealed to The Irish Mirror the scene of the crash was so bad that gardai initially believed that only four teenagers had died in the collision as they were visible in the wreckage of the BMW.
A fifth body under the vehicle was discovered by gardai only later in the afternoon when specialists moved the car from the scene.
Gardai area also working on the theory that the car the teens were travelling in had been stolen in Athy, Co Kildare earlier in the morning, sources also told The Irish Mirror.
Some time before the fatal crash, officers were alerted to a gang of teenagers trying to break into cars and houses in the town in the early hours of the morning.
As two separate investigations into the tragedy began, Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly issued a strongly worded statement about the crash.
Kelly said the crashes showed just how irresponsible it was to drive on the wrong side of the road - something young criminals are increasingly doing as they know gardai will not follow them.
“My thoughts are with those injured in this morning's collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.”
One probe into the crash itself is being carried out by An Garda Siochana - while independent policing watchdog Fiosrù is also investigating.
That probe is in relation to any possible interactions gardai may have had with the vehicle in the run-up to crash.
Explore more on these topics:

Actress Hayden Panettiere has died aged 36
Her father has confirmed her passing American actress Hayden Panettiere has died aged 36, her father has confirmed, as per reports on US media. In a statement reported by American media, her father, Skip Panettiere said: “It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden.” “She was an incredible […]
News
4 min
Man in his 40s dies after Dublin assault as Gardaí appeal for witnesses
His injuries were sustained earlier this week A man in his 40s has died from injuries he sustained in a Dublin assault earlier this week. Gardaí said the man died at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital on Friday, following a serious assault on North Great Charles Street in Dublin 1 on Monday, RTÉ News reported. The […]
News
2 days ago
Prisoner (30s) dies after assault in Wheatfield Prison
News