Woman hit by rollercoaster is trapped in own body after finally awaking from coma 1 month ago

Woman hit by rollercoaster is trapped in own body after finally awaking from coma

She was struck by the rollercoaster in a "tragic accident" two months ago.

A woman who was left in a coma after being hit by a rollercoaster has finally woken up but is now trapped in her own body and unable to talk, her family says.


On September 25 of this year, Shylah Rodden was at the Melbourne Royal Show in Australia when it is believed she walked onto the track of a rollercoaster to retrieve a dropped phone.

The 26-year-old suffered "horrific" injuries when she was hit by a Rebel Coaster carriage, which threw her nine meters into the air.

Shylah suffered extensive injuries to her head, pelvis, arms, legs and back, and was placed in a medically induced coma on her arrival at Royal Melbourne Hospital.


Clip via 9 News Australia

Last week, hospital staff confirmed to the Daily Mail that Shylah has woken up from the coma after two months and that her condition is stable.

But her family are still concerned for her and warn that she has a long road to recovery ahead.

Speaking to the publication, her sister Caisha said: "She had suffered a severe traumatic brain injury so if that’s what people think is stable they are wrong.


"Just because she’s awake doesn’t mean she's stable."

She also said that Shylah is currently unable to communicate.

Shortly after the accident, her dad Alan spoke to the Daily Mail about her injuries.

"The injuries are horrific. Horrific. She's brain-damaged. It's pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck - there's hardly a thing that's not broken," he said at the time.


GoFundMe has been set up by a friend of Shylah's family to help cover the costs of her recovery.

The page has raised $19,600 of its $20,000 goal.

The CEO of the Melbourne Royal Show, Brad Jenkins, labelled the incident a "tragic accident."

"From our understanding, there was a mobile phone at the base of the Rebel Coaster that she dropped on the ride and she went back to recover the mobile phone," he said.

"Regrettably, she was tragically struck by the cart coming down.


"It is an extreme rollercoaster which is a lot of fun generally, but this was a tragic accident that shouldn’t have happened."

He added that the rollercoaster had not malfunctioned and the operator of the ride was experienced, reassuring the public that the rides at the show are "entirely safe."