Very NSFW trailer for Mortal Kombat 1 has arrived
No, you're not reading that title incorrectly. The new game is called Mortal Kombat 1.
Mortal Kombat 1 is not to be confused with Mortal Kombat, which was the first Mortal Kombat game, released way back in 1992. No, Mortal Kombat 1 picks up from the events of 2019's Mortal Kombat 11 which (spoilers for one of the most unnecessarily overly complicated video game plots this side of the Resident Evil franchise) essentially reset the timeline for the entire series.
Hence the title of the new game.
Warner Bros. have released their announcement trailer for the new game, as well as the release date for the new sequel/prequel. Beware though, while this starts off with some pretty visuals, it doesn't take long to get to the trademark Mortal Kombat levels of OTT violence.
On the new game, Warner Bros. stated the following: "NetherRealm’s genre-defining Story Mode returns with an immersive cinematic narrative featuring unexpected twists on classic rivalries and original backstories for a wide-ranging cast of legendary fighters, including Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage, and many others.
"Mortal Kombat 1 will also introduce Kameo Fighters, a unique roster of partner characters that can assist during matches, creating expanded gameplay possibilities for players."
Mortal Kombat 1 will be available on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC and Switch from Tuesday, 19 September.
- Rumour has it Sony is working on TWO new PlayStation consoles
- The free subscription games coming to PlayStation and Xbox in May
- REVIEW: Humanity is an absolute must-play for PlayStation owners
- GTA 6 release date could be sooner than expected, new report suggests
- Zelda reviews: Tears of the Kingdom already being named Game Of The Year
- Rumoured release date for next Nintendo console revealed
- Gaming experts pick the 10 best games ever made