On its two-year anniversary, a look back at the iconic Marriage Equality referendum
Two years to the week, and now is a very good time to look back and remind ourselves of the fantastic moment in Irish history.
Too often it can be too easy to get caught up in the negative of one person's voice or actions - you just have to look at what happened to The George over the weekend to be reminded of that - so it can be very healthy to focus on the mass majority's positivity when it came to the Marriage Equality referendum.
The run-up to the vote was a roller-coaster of emotions, with different polls suggesting different outcomes, and those directly effected by a potential No vote - as well as their friends, family and loved ones - all feeling a lump in their throats as the day drew closer.
We all know how it ended, but it is worthwhile to look back at everything that happened leading up to it:
- There was that amazing Marriage Equality mural on George's Street, and then the petition to stop it from being removed
High turn-outs were reported across the country, while the #MarRef itself was one of the most talked about things across the globe
- The entire #HomeToVote campaign really hammered home the importance of this occasion, with folks travelling thousands of miles to ensure the referendum was passed
- When the Iona Institute threw in the towel, hopes were raised, with the chants of "We're gay, we're gay" (to the rhyme of "Ole, Ole" ringing out from Dublin Castle as the official vote was announced
Clip via Cian Mac Mahon
- When the Yes vote was eventually confirmed, the internet let up with joy, while those at Dublin Castle broke into a chorus of 'Amhrán na bhFiann'
- Ireland, being Ireland, the next day #hungoverforequality began trending
- And within a few months, the historic bill was passed, and once again, Twitter was joyous for the occasion
And now, here we are, two years later, and country is once again celebrating the event with Equality Parties being run nationwide.
Have a great annviersary, Ireland. You deserve it!