Omniplex Cinemas announces phased re-opening dates for cinemas across Ireland
The re-opening dates for their 19 cinemas across the Republic of Ireland have been announced.
Cinemas in Northern Ireland have been re-opened since Monday, 24 May, and now the rest of the island of Ireland will be getting back to the big screen once they're officially allowed to safely return from Monday, 7 June.
Omniplex Cinemas have announced the phased reopening of their screens around Ireland, so take note to see when your local Omniplex will start popping that corn again:
- Monday, 7 June - Arklow, Cork, Dundalk, Galway, Limerick, Rathmines, Sligo, Tralee, Wexford
- Friday, 11 June - Carlow, Balbriggan, Drogheda, Monaghan, Roscommon, Waterford
- Friday, 18 June - Shannon, Longford
- July - Killarney (new cinema)
- September - Nenagh (following major renovations)
The same safety precautions that Omniplex had in place while they opened last year will be in place when they re-open in June, including:
- In-Cinema Seat Separation - two metre bubble around each cinema booking.
- Families and friends may sit beside each other up to a maximum of five guests.
- Online Ticketing and Shop - tickets may be purchased online and pre-ordering of cinema treats online, for collection, is encouraged.
- Limited capacity - maximum of 50 per screen, with social distancing also in place in foyers and toilets.
- Enhanced cleaning regimes - including screen protection at all customer touchpoints.
- Sanitisation stations in foyers.
- Reduced showtimes - only one movie will start and end at a time to facilitate social distancing and extra cleaning.
Mark Anderson, Director of Omniplex Cinemas had this to say about the cinemas re-opening:
"The re-opening of cinemas in Ireland, after nearly six months closed, is a seminal moment for cinema lovers. We're delighted to start re-opening our doors next week with a selection of brand-new movies. In order to enjoy a safe cinema going experience we will continue with measures introduced last year like online ticketing, reduced auditorium capacity and self-scanning of tickets."
He also commented on Omniplex's brand new cinema opening in Killarney this July:
"We intended to open our Omniplex Killarney last year, so we’re excited to finally get to present our latest cinema this July. With a MAXX D’LUXX screen, Killarney is about to be amazed by OmniplexMAXX’s Big Screen and Big Sound treatment as well as the comfort of our D’LUXX electric recliner seats.
"This all-laser projection facility with sofa-beds is at the cutting edge of worldwide cinema technology. Coincidentally our D’Luxx cinemas are also naturally well suited to a socially distant world with a focus on automation and large fully electric recliner seats with a two metre gap between rows."
Some sites already have tickets on sale for A Quiet Place Part II and Peter Rabbit 2 from Monday, 7 June.
Full schedules for what will be shown in the cinemas will be announced very soon.