Search icon

Music

11th May 2024

Bambie Thug misses Eurovision rehearsal over ‘urgent’ situation

Stephen Porzio

“I hope to see you on the stage tonight.”

Ireland’s Eurovision contestant for this year Bambie Thug missed their dress rehearsal ahead of tonight’s final due to what they called an “urgent” situation.

In a post on their Instagram page, the ouija pop singer said: “There was a situation while we were waiting to go to stage for the flag parade rehearsal which I felt needed urgent attention from the EBU [The European Broadcasting Union].

“The EBU have taken this matter seriously and we have been in a discussion about what action needs to be taken. This means I have missed my dress rehearsal.

“I am really sorry to the fans that have come to see me. I hope to see you on the stage tonight.”

In a statement to JOE on the matter, the EBU said: “Bambie Thug did not perform in Dress Rehearsal 3 and the footage of their performance in Dress Rehearsal 2 was used in its place.

“They missed the dress rehearsal due to a situation that is currently being discussed with the EBU and Song Contest organisers.

“We hope that this will be resolved shortly and Bambie Thug will appear in the Grand Final Show as planned.”

No further details regarding the situation were provided.

The ‘Doomsday Blue’ singer qualified for the Eurovision final after impressing during their semi-final performance in Malmö on Tuesday, 7 May.

They became the first Irish act to qualify for the final since 2018.

The Cork singer, however, has faced increasing backlash to their decision to perform in the Swedish city, despite calls for a boycott over Israel’s inclusion in the competition.

Last month, over 400 Irish artists called for Bambie Thug to boycott the event in solidarity with Palestine, including Derry Girls actor Siobhán McSweeney and singer-songwriter Erica-Cody, who competed against Bambie Thug for a place at Eurovision this year.

Earlier this week, the Irish Eurovision contestant revealed that they were ordered by the EBU to change their pro-Palestinian message for their semi-final performance on Tuesday night.

Following their performance, the 31-year-old told a press conference they were forced to alter their body paint in Ogham script, which translated to ‘ceasefire and freedom’.

“It was very important for me because I’m pro-justice and pro-peace,” they said about the message, which nodded to the situation in Gaza and Israel’s inclusion in the contest.

“Unfortunately, I had to change those messages today to ‘crown the witch’ only, [which was an] order from the EBU.”

The EBU, meanwhile, announced on Saturday that the Netherlands’ entrant for Eurovision has been kicked out of the contest following an “incident” on Thursday night.

In a statement, the Eurovision organisers said: “The Dutch artist Joost Klein will not be competing in the Grand Final of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

“Swedish police have investigated a complaint made by a female member of the production crew after an incident following his performance in Thursday night’s semi-final.

“While the legal process takes its course, it would not be appropriate for him to continue in the Contest.”

It added: “We would like to make it clear that, contrary to some media reports and social media speculation, this incident did not involve any other performer or delegation member.

“We maintain a zero-tolerance policy towards inappropriate behaviour at our event and are committed to providing a safe and secure working environment for all staff at the contest.

“In light of this, Joost Klein’s behaviour towards a team member is deemed in breach of contest rules.”

Read more:

LISTEN: You Must Be Jokin’ with Aideen McQueen – Faith healers, Coolock craic and Gigging as Gaeilge